VO2 Max Podcast
Episode 26: Can Cold-Water Immersion Enhance Endurance Training Adaptations?
December 15, 2021
Ryan Eckert, MS, CSCS
In this episode, I discuss the evidence surrounding cold-water immersion and its potential to enhance the long-term, adaptive response to endurance training as well as long-term endurance performance outcomes.
Email: [email protected]
- Allan, R., Sharples, A. P., Close, G. L., Drust, B., Shepherd, S. O., Dutton, J., ... & Gregson, W. (2017). Postexercise cold water immersion modulates skeletal muscle PGC-1α mRNA expression in immersed and nonimmersed limbs: evidence of systemic regulation. Journal of Applied Physiology, 123(2), 451-459.
- Broatch, J. R., Petersen, A., & Bishop, D. J. (2018). The influence of post-exercise cold-water immersion on adaptive responses to exercise: a review of the literature. Sports Medicine, 48(6), 1369-1387.
- Ihsan, M., Watson, G., Choo, H. C., Lewandowski, P., Papazzo, A., Cameron-Smith, D., & Abbiss, C. R. (2014). Postexercise muscle cooling enhances gene expression of PGC-1. Med Sci Sports Exerc, 46(10), 1900-1907.
- Joo, C. H., Allan, R., Drust, B., Close, G. L., Jeong, T. S., Bartlett, J. D., ... & Gregson, W. (2016). Passive and post-exercise cold-water immersion augments PGC-1α and VEGF expression in human skeletal muscle. European journal of applied physiology, 116(11), 2315-2326.
- Malta, E. S., Dutra, Y. M., Broatch, J. R., Bishop, D. J., & Zagatto, A. M. (2021). The effects of regular cold-water immersion use on training-induced changes in strength and endurance performance: a systematic review with meta-analysis. Sports Medicine, 51(1), 161-174.
Love our content and want to support our show? Click the link here and consider supporting us by becoming a Patreon member with options to get exclusive branded merchandise!Support the show