In this episode, I discuss some newer research investigating the impact of compression boots on recovery. I have looked at this research a few years previously, but thought it was worth taking another look at some more recent research as this area is newer and constantly evolving. I have included a link to a write-up on this same topic I did recently as well.
Compression/Recovery Boots: An Update on the Science
1. Blumkaitis JC, Moon JM, Ratliff KM, Stecker RA, Richmond SR, Sunderland KL, Kerksick CM, Martin JS, Mumford PW. Effects of an external pneumatic compression device vs static compression garment on peripheral circulation and markers of sports performance and recovery. European Journal of Applied Physiology. 2022 Apr 27:1-4.
2. Cochrane DJ, Booker HR, Mundel T, Barnes MJ. Does intermittent pneumatic leg compression enhance muscle recovery after strenuous eccentric exercise?. International journal of sports medicine. 2013 Nov;34(11):969-74.
3. Collins R, McGrath D, Horner K, Eusebi S, Ditroilo M. Effect of external counterpulsation on exercise recovery in team sport athletes. International Journal of Sports Medicine. 2019 Aug;40(08):511-8.
4. Northey JM, Rattray B, Argus CK, Etxebarria N, Driller MW. Vascular occlusion and sequential compression for recovery after resistance exercise. J Strength Cond Res. 2016;30(2):533–539.
5. O’Donnell S, Driller MW. The effect of intermittent sequential pneumatic compression on recovery between exercise bouts in well-trained triathletes. J Sci Cycl. 2015;4(3):19.
6. Overmayer RG, Driller MW. Pneumatic compression fails to improve performance recovery in trained cyclists. International journal of sports physiology and performance. 2017;13(4):490-5.
7. Roberts LA, Caia J, James LP, Scott TJ, Kelly VG. Effects of external counterpulsation on postexercise recovery in elite rugby league players. International journal of sports physiology and performance. 2019 Nov 1;14(10):1350-6.
8. Russell S, Evans AG, Jenkins DG, Kelly VG. Effect of external counterpulsation on running performance and perceived recovery. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance. 2020 Feb 27;15(7):920-6.
9. Tally S, Kado-Walton M, Hillery N, Wing D, Higgins M, Groessl E, Nichols J. Effects of External Counterpulsation on Performance and Recovery After Exertion. American Journal of Sports Science. 2022;10(4):84-91.
10. Wiener A, Mizrahi J, Verbitsky O. Enhancement of tibialis anterior recovery by intermittent sequential pneumatic compression of the legs. Basic Appl Myol. 2001;11(2):87–90.
11. Zelikovski A, Kaye C, Fink G, Spitzer S, Shapiro Y. The effects of the modified intermittent sequential pneumatic device (MISPD) on exercise performance following an exhaustive exercise bout. Br J Sports Med. 1993;27(4):255–259.